Rod Read, Director
Rod Read is the foremost sports marketing professional in Australia. He is highly regarded at the most senior level, by CEOs and people of influence at every major broadcaster and federation in Australian sport.
In a decorated career spanning thirty years, Rod Read has held positions with News Corp (Consultant Head of Sports Central), FOXTEL (Consultant Commercial Director), Sports Marketing and Management (CEO), Sydney Organising Committee for the Olympic Games (Consultant GM Marketing), Stadium Australia (Consultant GM Commercial), and the Seven Network (Head of Sports Sales and Marketing). There is no one better credentialed among this country’s leading sports professionals.
Rod Read joined leading sports management firm, The Sports Group in 2013, having collaborated with Director Mark Jones on an ambassadorship for The Sports Group athlete and former 100m freestyle World Champion, James Magnussen as part of Foxtel’s broadcast of the 2012 London Olympic Games.
- Career at the forefront of sports marketing and broadcast in Australia for over 30 years.
- Brokered ground-breaking commercial sponsorship deals, including the longstanding partnership between Ford and the Australian Open Tennis tournament.
- Launched and directed professional golf and tennis events in the USA, Asia and Australia.
- Former Head of Sports Sales and Marketing at the Seven Network Australia, leading on the commercial proposition for sports properties including the AFL, Rugby Union, Tennis, Golf, Motorsport and the Olympic Games.
- Appointed Consultant General Manager of Sales and Marketing for SOCOG, the Organising Committee for the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games.
- CEO of Sports Marketing and Management (SMAM) during which time the company was the appointed sales and marketing agency for the Australian Olympic Committee, Australian Commonwealth Games Association, Swimming Australia Limited and the PGA Tour of Australasia.
- Negotiated television rights broadcast deals on behalf of Swimming Australia Limited, the Commonwealth Games, World Gymnastics Championships and Ski and Snowboard Australia.
- Provided strategic direction and consultancy to FOXTEL and News Corporation around best practice digital transition for media broadcasters. Major projects included the FOXTEL multi-platform coverage of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Games and the London 2012 Olympic Games.
- Extensive experience in working directly with sports bodies to fulfil their commercial potential. Served as an Advisor and Agent of the PGA Tour; as Tournament Director of the NSW Open Tennis Championship; as a Director of Ski and Snowboard Australia; and as Director of the Olympic Winter Institute of Australia (OWIA).