Mark Jones, Director
Mark Jones is the Founding Director of The Sports Group. He is one of the most prolific talent managers and sponsorship experts in Australia, having shaped the commercial proposition for some of the country’s most recognised athletes. He has an in-depth knowledge of key sports and emerging talent pathways, including proactive identification of promising junior athletes who demonstrate exceptional athletic capability and commercial appeal.
Mark Jones has an instinctive commercial marketing mindset with significant operational exposure to how talent and brands intersect. He has direct involvement and understanding of, the critical role that sponsorship plays in brand performance.
Mark Jones is a truly global agent, having built relationships and negotiated contracts in every major market around the world. Locally, he is connected at a very senior level in Australian sport with direct links to National Sporting Organisations, Federations, broadcasters, media, agencies, brands and talent.
- Career immersed in sports sponsorship, sports marketing and talent representation for over 17 years.
- Significant client-side sponsorship management and events experience including as Sponsorship and Partnerships Manager at Nationwide News. Oversaw the single biggest sponsorship portfolio in Australia.
- Regarded as one of the leading sports talent managers in Australia, having working with the very elite of Australia’s commercially successful athletes, including: Daniel Ricciardo (Formula 1), Ian Thorpe (Swimming), Cadel Evans (Cycling), Torah Bright (Snowboarding), Marcos Ambrose (NASCAR), Dante Exum (Basketball), Shane Watson (Cricket), James Magnussen (Swimming), Sally Fitzgibbons (Surfing), Geoff Huegill (Swimming), Steve Hooker (Athletics), Lucas Neill (Football), John Aloisi (Football), Libby Trickett (Swimming) and George Smith (Rugby).
- Significant expertise in navigating the intersection of elite sporting talent with brands and broadcasters.
- Negotiated some of the most lucrative commercial deals in Australian sport.
- Operated in a commercial capacity at every Olympic Games since Sydney 2000, and every Commonwealth Games since Manchester 2002.